Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) and Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the Irish Chess Union
Time and Date: 3.30 pm and 4.00pm on Sunday 24th September 2017
Venue: The Academy Plaza Hotel, 10 – 14 Findlater Place (just off O’Connell Street Upper), Dublin 1.
Agenda for EGM:
Agenda for AGM:
- Opening Address by Chairperson
- Minutes of 2016 AGM
- Reports from Officers including 2016-17 Accounts.
- Election of Officers
4. Election of Officers – Nominations:
Official Nominations for ICU Executive 2017/18
|John McMorrow||Chairperson||Ciaran Mahon 838|
|Alex Baburin||Vice-Chairperson||John McMorrow 5320|
|Ciaran Mahon||Hon Secretary||John McMorrow 5320|
|Margaret Naughton||Treasurer||Desmond Beatty 13381|
|Desmond Beatty||Junior Officer||John McMorrow 5320|
|Ivan Baburin||Tournament Officer||John McMorrow 5320|
|Conor Barrett||Development Officer||John McMorrow 5320|
|Gearoidin Ui Laighleis||Women's Officer||John McMorrow 5320|
|John Cassidy||Membership Officer||John McMorrow 5320|
|Andrew Kildea||Rating Officer||John McMorrow 5320|
|Carl Jackson||Public Relations Officer||John McMorrow 5320|
|Kevin O'Connell||FIDE/ECU Delegate||John McMorrow 5320|
i. That the attached "Eligibility Criteria for Adult Events" is placed in Appendix A of the constitution under the title of "Eligibility Criteria for Adult Events" and replacing the previous "Eligibility Criteria for Adult Events" of the ICU with immediate effect. (Proposed by ICU Executive)
ii. That the attached "Eligibility Criteria for Adult Events" is adopted as the new "Eligibility Criteria for Adult Events" and comes into effect for the next Olympiad cycle once selections are completed for the Olympiad in 2018. (Proposed by ICU Executive)
iii. That the attached "International Selection Committee and Junior Selection Committee" is placed in Appendix A of the constitution under the title of "International Selection Committee and Junior Selection Committee" and replacing the previous "International Selection Committee" of the ICU with immediate effect. (Proposed by ICU Executive)
iv. We propose that the following positions are made non-executive committee positions with immediate effect: Membership and FIDE/ECU Delegate positions. This requires a 2/3s majority as it would entail removing these positions from article 9.2 of the constitution. (Proposed by ICU Executive)
v. If the above motion passes, we propose that the position of Membership Officer be split into three roles with Leinster, Munster and Connaught positions. (Proposed by ICU Executive)
vi. *That article 8.1 of the constitution be amended to the following: "An Extraordinary General Meeting of the Union shall be convened by the Hon. Secretary at the request of the Chairman or on the written requisition of not less than 50 fully paid individual members of the Union - these members must 18 years of age or over at the time of signing and must be eligible to attend and vote at a General Meeting. The requisition must state the objects of the meeting and must be signed by the requisitionists and may consist of several documents in like form each signed by one or more requisitionists." This requires a 2/3s majority. * (Proposed by ICU Executive)
vii. We propose the following rule changes to the National Club Championships Rules in Apendix A of the Constitution:
3.4 Clubs can draft in up to two players who are rated under 1600 ICU that would not normally qualify under rule 3.1, 3.2 . If a player is unrated on the ICU rating list, then their FIDE rating must not exceed 1600.
11. The three top placed teams will qualify for the European Club Cup.
12. In the event of a team declining their place in the European Club Cup, the ICU's Tournament Director shall offer the place in the ECC to the next highest placed team and continue until the place is filled.
13. The appointed team will be required to secure their place with a refundable deposit of the ECC entry fee (currently €300). This deposit will be refunded to the club upon their return from the ECC. Should the team decline to pay this deposit in a timely manner, the ICU tournament director may decide to allocate the slot to the next team as per point 12. The deadline for payment of this fee is 2 months prior to the start of the event.
16. Each team captain must submit his or her team before the deadline set for receipt of entries by the Tournament Director and must declare a board order including the order of the substitutes. There is no restriction on how the board order is decided. When entering a team, the captain must also furnish both the ICU code and FIDE ID of each of his or her players. This deadline must be at least 14 days prior to the commencement of the Tournament.
While we propose to remove the following rule: 20. All players must be members of the club they are representing. For the purposes of these rules, in order to be considered a member of the club, a player must fully comply with the requirements of rule 3 and the ICU tournament director must be satisfied that each team member has a real affiliation to the club they are representing. (Proposed by ICU Executive)
viii. *That article 17 of the constitution be amended to the following: "ALTERATION OF CONSTITUTION This constitution shall only be amended at an Annual General Meeting of the Union, or at an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Union specifically called for that purpose. The text of any amendments must be included with the notice convening the meeting and a two-thirds majority of those present and entitled to vote at any general meeting shall be necessary before any amendment is carried. Amendments to Appendix A of the constitution simply require a majority of those present and entitled to vote at any general meeting." This requires a 2/3s majority. * (Proposed by ICU Executive)