Officer Reports and Candidate Statements
The following people have been nominated for office for 2012/13.
|Chairperson||John Alfred||Andrew Ingram|
|Jonathan O'Connor||Daniel Lynch|
|Vice-chairperson||Colm Daly||Gary O'Grady|
|Gabriel Mirza||Noel Keating|
|Martin Schmidt||Shane Lee|
|Secretary||Gabriel Mirza||Andrew Ingram|
|Bryan Tobin||Jonathan O'Connor|
|Treasurer||Noel Keating||Gabriel Mirza|
|Membership Officer||Daniel Lynch||Shane Lee|
|Ratings Officer||Mark Orr||John Alfred|
|FIDE & ECU Delegate||Kevin O'Connell||Gabriel Mirza|
|Tournament Director||Rory Delaney||Jonathan O'Connor|
|Arbitration Officer||Andrew Ingram||Gabriel Mirza|
|Herbert Scarry||Jonathan O'Connor|
|Public Relations Officer||Colm Daly||Darko Polimac|
|Una O'Boyle||Shane Lee|
|Women's Officer||Gearoidin Ui Laighleis||Jonathan O'Connor|
|Junior Officer||Darko Polimac||Gabriel Mirza|
|ICJ Editor||Tony Foley||Shane Lee|
- 1. Defaulting players, proposed by Peter Lynch
- A participating player who has defaulted in an earlier tournament and whose name appears on the ICU register of defaulters. Where more than one of the players participating in the tournament is on the register, or where a participating players name appears more than once on the register, the unrequested bye is assigned to the oldest eligible entry on the register. Where two or more of the participating players are registered as having incurred defaults on the same date the unrequested bye is assigned to the player with the highest score in the tournament.
- 2. Proposed by Peter Lynch
- The participating player determined by existing rules governing assignment of unrequested byes (e.g. the player having the lowest score in the tournament).
- 3. Robert's Rules proposed by Andrew Ingram
- That the ICU adopts Roberts Rules of Order when conducting it's business and proceedings.
- 4. Fundraising sub-committee, proposed by Barbara Magee
- The creation of a Fundraising subcommittee. The subcommittee's role would include seeking general sponsorship, sponsorship for specific events and/or teams, donations and the pursuit of establishing chess as a sport to receive government funding.
- 5. Junior Chess subcommittee, proposed by Barbara Magee
- The creation of a Junior Chess committee to assist with the organization of Junior tournaments both domestic and international.
- 6. Selection of heads of delegation, proposed by Barbara Magee
- The Selection Committee to formalize the process by which Captains and Heads of Delegation are selected.
- 7. Selection of Women's team captain, proposed by Gary O'Grady
- The Olympiad women's team Captain be selected at least 1 year prior to the following Olympiad.
- 8. Irish Championship rules, proposed by Gary O'Grady
- Admission to the Irish Championship be open to only players who can qualify for the Irish Olympiad team.
- 9. Small correction to the constitution, proposed Mark Orr
- The constitution contains the following phrase: "publication in the Irish Chess Journal or other magazine...shall be deemed to be sufficient notice". It should be updated to include mention of the ICU web site which is now the principle method of communicating with members.
- 10. Olympiad team selection, proposed by Gearóidín uí Laighléis
- That the Olympiad teams are picked at least 4 months before the start of the Olympiad.
- 11. Qualification criteria, proposed by Gearóidín uí Laighléis
- That candidates should be members of the ICU for at least 2 years prior to Olympiad.
- 12. Activity requirements for Women's team, proposed by Gearóidín uí Laighléis
- That candidates for the Irish Women's team should have played at least 18 rated games in the two years (12 in Ireland) previous to the Olympiad.
- 13. Activity requirements at selection time, proposed by Gearóidín uí Laighléis
- That all games should be played and rated before the selection of candidates.